Factions of the Flanaess
At any time your character can choose to become a member of a faction, typically when the opportunity presents itself. A faction is an organization dedicated to achieving its goals through its members' actions across the Flanaess. Each faction is distinct and offers adventurers a chance to earn prestige within its ranks through the acquisition of renown by completing adventures and tasks that further that factions' interest.
Factions each have their own goals but are not overtly hostile to one another. Faction members might have a dislike of other factions, but they are civilized enough to keep from being completely antagonistic. Joining a faction is optional. However, you can be a member of only one faction at a time. If you ever switch factions or decide to become unaffiliated, you lose all benefits and renown associated with your former faction. The factions aren't kind to traitors or deserters.
The Circle of Eight
is a powerful network of spellcasters and agents who are not particularly concerned about tyranny, but rather more interested in preserving a balance of power throughout the Flanaess and beyond.
The Knights of the Order of the Hart
is a loose coalition of human and elf nobles that has branches in Furyondy, Veluna, and the Vesve Forest. Though principally concerned with the danger posed by Iuz, the half-demon tyrant, the order seeks to defend its constituent lands against all sorts of monstrous threats.
The Old Faith
is filled with druids across the Flanaess. Each region of the continent falls under the purview of a Great Druid, who in turn oversees a hierarchy of lower-ranking druids scattered throughout the lands under his or her dominion. Among their concerns, the Druids of the Old Faith are staunch enemies of many evils plaguing their lands and root out evil worshipers wherever they arise.
- The Church of Saint Cuthbert includes clerics, paladins, and fighters who stand for law and order and generally oppose evil, and it is found in many different lands throughout the Flanaess.
- The Thieves' Guild of Greyhawk is an unscrupulous shadow network that seeks to control trade and influence events in many lands throughout the Flanaess. Its members have a reputation as troublemakers but often are forced to meet the threat posed by truly abhorrent villains, monsters, and cults.
Faction Advancement & Benefits
As a character allied with one of the factions goes on adventures, he or she earns renown for accomplishing tasks that align with the faction's goals. This is expressed in the awarding of renown points at the end of an episode or adventure. Completion usually earns 0 renown (no interest to the faction), 1 renown (some interest to the faction), or 2 renown (great interest to the faction). Each faction can award different renown points to adventurers. As characters earn renown, they progress in the ranks of their factions, granting them greater authority and additional benefits.
Rank 1: Initiate
This is the rank a character receives when first joining a faction. It is available at character creation or any time the character wishes to join. There are no requirements at this rank, though several personal interviews may be required.
- Participate in Faction Activities. You can participate in any activities that are considered faction-specific for your faction.
- Earn Renown. You can earn renown points in your faction and advance in rank.
- Receive Your Faction's Insignia. All new faction members receive an insignia of their faction, fashioned into a wearable or held item.
Rank 2: Agent
Rank 2 characters have shown that they're aligned with the faction's goals, and are able to take on more responsibility. To qualify for Agent, the character must have Renown 3.
- Secret Missions. During certain adventures, you might be given the opportunity to undergo a secret mission on behalf of your faction. Completion of these missions might earn you additional benefits.
- Apprenticeship to an Adventurer Mentor. Your character can be apprenticed to another higher-ranking adventurer from your faction. The benefits of this apprenticeship will become available when rank 4 benefits are released.
Rank 3: Stalwart
Rank 3 characters are reliable faction members, entrusted with many secrets and deserving of additional support during adventures. To qualify for Stalwart, the character must have Renown 10, Level 5, and have successfully completed 1 secret mission.
- Faction Downtime Activity. You gain access to a faction-specific downtime activity that gives you additional benefits when you use it. The specific downtime activities and benefits will be released in the next update of this guide.
Rank 4: Mentor
Rank 4 characters are trusted voices within the faction's leadership. They are looked upon as champions of the faction's beliefs, and as mentors by those of lower rank. To qualify for Mentor, the character must have Renown 25, Level 11, and have successfully completed 3 secret missions.
- Become a Mentor. You can designate other rank 2 or 3 characters as your charge. You can have multiple charges if you wish. The benefits of this will be released when high-level play becomes available.
Rank 5: Leader
Rank 5 characters are ensconced within the leadership of the faction and have a great degree of influence, guiding faction decisions. To qualify for Leader, the character must have Renown 50, Level 17, and have successfully completed 10 secret missions.
- Become a Faction Leader. You gain the ability to make decisions on behalf of your faction and influence current and future faction direction. The benefits of this will be released when high-level play becomes available.